Information and communication technologies are becoming the competitive advantages for S&M businesses and large corporations. Increasingly, companies involved in different industries search for experts that could offer them brilliant solutions to meet their needs. Developers are number one in the list of most wanted employees for IT projects. In this article, we focus on an average Java developer salary by country, qualification, and years of experience.
Let's revise what Java is. According to Norman, Java is one of the major practical and widely-used languages that fall within the Object Oriented family. Key attitudes that come with this are that projects should be structured into potentially re-usable blocks (the Java class construct being a major way of achieving this). These blocks should each take responsibility for just one aspect of the overall behavior you are trying to code up. The decomposition should be arranged so that interaction between blocks is as tidy and disciplined as possible.
Java on the other hand follows a view that language constructs that support large-scale structuring of projects are the key. It also expects that having the user write out types and qualifiers explicitly will help others to read your program.
Role and Responsibility of Java Developer: What Do Java Developers Do?
Software engineering involves the development, improvement, and understanding of technologies, processes, and resources that constitute software development. In the modern society, which is driven by software, one key resource is the software developer or programmer. One way to satisfy society’s ever-increasing demand for greater productivity is to educate and train developers to become highly skilled and, thus, productive. When people ask “What Is Java Developer Skills Requirement?” they either look for an expert to hire or want to become Java programmers. Let’s find out the answers to both audiences. Skilled developers are important to the software industry. In empirical studies in software engineering, knowing the skill level of the participants is also important for correct interpretation of results.
Here are the most common things a typical Java developer should know and do.
- Understand the Java libraries and understand the collections framework.
- Be familiar with data structures and array lists.
- Understand how the Java virtual machine works.
- Know HTML and at least one framework like Spring.
- Integrate Java in web and business applications and websites.
- Understand the customer’s vision on the project.
- Writes code that is relevant to the customer’s vision.
- Is able to resolve the issues on the fly.
- Deploy the written code into the live environment.
- Check if the final product faces the customer’s initial requirements.
Java is class-based, object-oriented, concurrent. Big companies use Java to build their projects as it is a stable language demonstrating a strong backward compatibility and ability for work in large teams. People who code in Java find their jobs almost immediately because a lot of organizations require Java for developing complex systems. The sectors where Java is used are as follows:
- Big Data applications
- Android apps
- Trading applications
- Web and e-commerce applications
- Payment systems
Fast employment and challenging projects are not the only things that make young people learn coding. Java salaries are comparatively higher than those which the majority of other programming jobs offer. Below our comprehensive research on Java engineer salaries based on location, expertise, and experience.
Java Developer Salary By Proficiency Levels
The scale to measure qualification and proficiency in the iCT industry is divided into 4 main measurements: entry level (intern), junior, middle, and senior specialist. Oftentimes developers are entitled these names to distinguish their levels of expertise and experience. We used Java Pay Scale information to find out the up-to-date rates and wages.
Entry Level Java Developer Salary
Entry level developers or interns work as trainees in IT companies. Usually, they have no previous experience. The duration of training programs can last 2-4 months on average. Interns must know how to use the tools they chosen to work with. These people should have a strong theoretical background and know the essentials of practical programming.
As of March 2018, the median a Java intern earns is $65,740 in the USA. The data is collected thanks to individual reporting of 1,901 people employed as interns.
Where to find Java intern jobs? A lot of sites providing job search services contain a bunch of jobs for Java interns. For example, currently, Indeed contains around 700 job offerings for entry-level Java developers in the United States. Minimum qualifications are as follows:
- Currently enrolled in a full-time Bachelors degree program in Computer Science or related technical field and returning to a full-time degree program after completion of the internship.
- Experience with Data Structures or Algorithms (i.e. completing a data structures and algorithms class, coursework, course projects, research, individual projects, internships, or other practical experience inside or outside of school or work (including open source hobby coding))
Junior Java Developer Salary
Junior is the next level following the internships. Juniors must independently execute technical assignments. For example, if the project has a structured architecture a Junior developer must be able to realize another part of the application’s logic.
Here’s what a Junior specialist makes per year. The rates depend on a set of skills. A certain set of competencies can increase payment for the job.
We can find a lot more Junior Java jobs as compared to intern jobs on Indeed. As of July 12, 2018 we found 2,969 career opportunities for junior-level specialists. Below is an example of minimum requirements:
- 2 + years of experience in systems analysis, design, or programming and the associated development methodologies.
- Extensive experience with project planning.
- Proven communication and presentation skills to effectively communicate information to customers and to all levels within the organization.
- Ability to interact well in a team environment.
- Extensive experience with technical task estimation.
Middle Java Programmer Salary
Middle developer is able to complete the assigned tasks independently without any help. The difference between Juniors and Middles is that Middles are more likely to deal with any tasks including other than only technical. Middle programming specialists understand customers’ requirements and can interpret those into tech solutions. So, what does a Middle developer does?
- They clearly understand what an application does.
- Middles is familiar with standard templates and practices in their domain.
- They know that they should collaborate with other members of the team and has all necessary tools for a collective work.
Senior Java Developer Salary
Sr. programmers are skillful in writing code, dealing with bad code, and knowing how to fix the issues up. Usually, they know what functions and tasks an application performs. Seniors possess the following skills:
- They have an ability to tackle complicated problems, do this faster and better than a middle programmer.
- Seniors have strong communication skills as they should not just offer the best solution but also convince a customer why the solution is best.
- Knows perfectly different libraries and frameworks and know how to apply those.
Senior specialists get the highest payments. They earn up to $130,000 per year. The salary can include some benefits and bonuses and gain 145K dollars. The data is reported by 1,785 US employees in March this year.
Senior Java developers are of greater demand than the specialists of entry, junior, and middle levels. The evidence to this is the number of the relevant job offers on Indeed - 11, 349 available positions as of July, 2018. However, these experts are asked to have a lot of skills like:
- Five to ten years of experience developing software.
- Experienced in building various integrations and web services
- Strong knowledge in Business Process Modeling Language(BPML)
- Hands on experience in Java 8
- Consumption and design of RESTful APIs and SOAP services
- Experience in Rule System - Drools
- Knowledge of Mongo DB, Spring MVC, Core and Transaction
- Good experience in Hibernate
- Experience in Angular 2 or Typescript
- Pattern-driven development and Agile Scrum development
- Debugging tools
- Git and Maven
- Flexibility and willingness to learn proprietary frameworks developed in-house
- Strong verbal communication skills, both with colleagues and customers, with diverse cultural
- Effective in conveying ideas and messages, both formally and informally, clearly, concisely and accurately
Java Engineers Wages By Country
If your objective is to find an employee or instead, you are looking for a Java job, check out the information on how much a Java developer earns in different countries.
Senior Java Developers Salary in USA
The USA is a large market for hiring a good IT specialist. The pay for IT related services here is the highest in the world. That’s the reason for many buyers look for hiring employees outside the US. We focused on Senior engineers and here is what we got.
Senior Java Developer Salary New York
The median payment, as of March 2018, is around $112,000 per year with the hourly rate being 73 dollars. With reference to reports, the biggest salary is 170K dollars which is much more big than the average Senior developer wages across the country.
Senior Java Developer Salary San Francisco
San Francisco offers almost the same possibilities as New York does. The Java coders earn here 1,000 dollars less. Their median is $111,000 but the rate on a high end is lower than that in NYC - 150K dollars.
If you consider reducing expenses for a project development you should think of outsourcing companies offering the same technologies and services but at lower rates. We’ve got some data of Java developer rates in India and Ukraine. Those two countries are common destinations for those who searches for stingy costs.
Java Developer Salary in India
India offers a lot of outsourcing options. Indians as any other outsourcing nations provide various services offering a bunch of different specialists in programming. The only things you should be aware of are the difference between cultures and low English skills that are caused by different mindset.
Java Programmer Salary Entry Level
Entry-level Java coders earn here around 357,000 Rs that is approximately $5,400. It is an average payment per year. The highest yearly salary is twice bigger than the median - 700,000 rupees. Below is a chart demonstrating the distribution of rates.
Jr Java Developer Salary in India (Monthly)
Monthly salary of juniors varies from 19,000 rupees to 54,000. The data is based on Indeed report that put the jobs ads together and calculated the median.
Senior Java Architect Salary (Per Year)
Sr Java architects earn 2 million rs per annually that is approx. 30,000 dollars. Take a closer look at the yearly rates distribution.
Java Engineer Salary in Ukraine by Experience (Monthly)
Ukraine is located in the center of Europe and is accessible from any part of the world. It is loved by buyers because local tech engineers speak English fluently, have the mindset similar to American. That is why Ukraine attracts customers who search for quality, easy communication, and affordable costs.
|Level of Experience||Kyiv||Kharkiv||Lviv|
|Java Developer 3 Years Experience Salary (Jr)||$2,000||$1,500||$1,800|
|Java Developer 6 Years Experience Salary (Sr)||$3,747||$3,000||$3,300|
|Java Developer Salary 10 Years Experience (Lead)||$4,250||$3,550||$4,000|
Besides, it is interesting to know that the average salary of Java software engineers in Kyiv is $1,900, test engineers earn $1,200, and Team Leads get $3,400. The salaries are lower if compared to the payments for American IT specialists, for instance.
What Factors Affect Java Developer Salary
Based on our research we can assert that salaries depend on the level of theoretical knowledge and practical skills. Beginners as well as professionals have to take some Java training courses and workshops to strengthen their skills and master some new technologies. Knowledge and the ability to apply it on practice are the core things that can increase a Senior Java Developer hourly rate. Below are more specific skills affecting Java developer salaries:
- Apache Struts
- RESTful Web Services
- Eclipse Java IDE
- XML Web Services
- Enterprise Java Beans (EJB)
Our findings also include the information about gender aspects that show that 11% female and 89% male work as Java developers.
Pay by experience and expertise for Senior Java programmers has a positive trend. An entry-level Java specialist with less than 5 years of experience can expect to make an average total compensation of $89K based on 110 wages provided by anonymous individuals. Average total compensation includes tips, bonuses, and overtimes. A Java engineer with mid-career experience which includes employees with 5-10 years of experience can make an average total compensation of $99K (650 salaries). An experienced Senior developer which includes employees with 10 to 20 years of experience get an average total pay of $109K (605 salaries). A Senior Java developer with late-career experience which includes employees with greater than 20 years of experience make an average salary of $122K (67 salaries).
A.C. Norman gives 10 recommendation to those who are new to programming, no matter what language you use:
- Understand the task you are about to solve before starting to write a program about it. Work through methods and procedures by hand on paper etc. Plan some test cases. Identify cases that will represent boundaries or oddities. In general prepare a plan before you start going anywhere near a computer.
- Sketch the structure of the whole of your code out informally so you have full overview before fussing about exact syntax etc. Ensure you know what you expect that the computer will do. This initial sketch can be very informal, and may be in terms of diagrams rather than anything that looks much like real programming. The key word here is “structure”. This applies with way greater force when your code starts to grow: you should always design a good way to factor your code into reasonably self-contained and independent components (each will be one “class” in your code) right from the start.
- Write out key parts of above in the form of comments before you start the real code. Concentrate in these comments on the “what” and “why” of your code rather the details of “how”. This will really help when you show your work to somebody else because you need help! The first thing you will type into a computer when you start writing any program will be a set of overview comments that explain its strategy and structure.
- At least for a first version of anything, favor clarity and obvious correctness over pretty well everything else. Clever tricks, worries about efficiency, generalizations etc can come later.
- Neat consistent layout and thoughtfully named fields, methods, variables etc. are a good investment of your time. Cryptic is bad even if it saves keystrokes in the short term.
- If a task is too big to solve in just one gulp look for ways of breaking it down into sub-tasks. As you do this think about ways you will be able to test code you write for each sub-task and work on the whole thing step by step.
- When you try to compile your code and see a syntax error do not panic. Learn to interpret the compiler’s diagnostics. And only try to remove one error at a time: count it as a success if next time you try to compile the first error has give so you can then concentrate on the second.
- When you have compiled your program and run it and it gives wrong answers or behaves badly do not panic. First work to understand what is wrong and only after you have found where the problem is think about ways to fit it. Do not just try random changes! Eg. confirm what your program actually does by adding assert and extra print statements.
- Whenever you find you have to change your program review comments, consider if it will now do exactly what you want, and re-run all your test cases. Experience shows that changes (for whatever cause) can introduce new problems while you are in the process of fixing old ones.
- If you find you are spending a seriously long time trying to make sense of anything then find help from friends or a supervisor or a book. Do not just keep building up your frustration not getting anywhere!
Find this article helpful? Share your opinion in the comments below. Follow us to stay up-to-date.