Outsourcing is aimed at shifting from constant operational expenses to permanent, decreasing the number of in-house employees, and improving the quality of final products. The objectives are explained by the core principle of outsourcing which is passing on to others particular business processes and functionalities provided that the partner company has better-developed competencies in project management.
When deciding on outsourcing you must think out the entire workflow to effectively streamline business processes. The first thing company owners consider is a project management tool. However, make no mistake about it!
In the search for the best tools, businessmen forget about the existing process. Imagine that, you choose a certain tool among dozens of free and paid instruments available for downloading and use expecting an instant positive effect on the whole workflow. However, there should be little amazement if your team ignores the introduced tool.
Even the most perfect tool can’t create a process. This is what you as a company/product owner or a project/product manager have to create considering the needs of your employees. The essential point to remember is that tools are used to automate operation and control, enhance the work process, and expedite the project development.
Check performance easily! Here are 4 steps to implement a custom dashboard software
Factors affecting the general workflow
Before choosing a contractor and a tool, engage in designing a system approach to management. Below are the most important things to take into account:
- Information administration
- Tasks management
First off, you must establish and outline the details of the entire workflow. If you have already outsourced the development team discuss these details with them. Once you talked things through, proceed to picking up a tool most suitable for your process and colleagues.
Include every single team member into decision making so that everyone feels responsible for the overall performance. Collaboration and brainstorming on a tool that works good for everyone bind a team.
If you are unsure about the effectiveness of the existing process hire a professional optimizer or ask a PM of the outsourced team to recommend you the best practices. You can even test any tools before implementing those into your work process. Moderate testing of any instrument will show how comfortable your employees are with the definite application or technology.
Tips to streamline the work process
We have crafted a simple strategy to optimize the performance at workspace. Adhere to the following steps:
- Intensify your team’s efforts on developing and customizing the management flow.
- Specify the testing period (1 month, for example) and be first to stick to the flow.
- Listen carefully to your employees preferences and make fixes on time.
- Discuss regularly what processes are repetitive, what is not scalable or runs slow otherwise not appropriate for implementing or using.
- Build a devoted team to test the application and report on advantages and disadvantages of the given system.
- Let your devoted team communicate with your optimizer and other team members about all pros and cons of using a definite tool.
- Focus on how the given instrument can enhance the workflow, not on how to use it.
- Test the application yourself.
- Ask your optimizer about useful features of the app.
- Review the tools you use on a regular basis. Check if they are up-to-date.
Once your workflow is optimized and tools are customized, you will be able to easily meet any new members of the team. Your process is set up and every employee can easily teach a newcomer to work according to the general workflow.
How to successfully manage outsourced developers
Let’s figure out what a workflow is. In software development, a workflow could be explained as the following procedure:
- Place, time, manner in which goals are reached.
- Techniques according to which a team lead and members assign, prioritize, complete tasks and track time spent for accomplishing the assignments.
- Payments, benefits, and other consequences for completing or not completing the project tasks.
Here is a sample software development workflow.
Here are helpful steps to optimize the management flow for remote teams.
Step 1. Current practices
When it comes to cooperating with remote employees, speak with a partner company owner about the existing PM system. Ask what tools they are using for control and time tracking.
Step 2. Leadership
Talk about leadership practices applied by the offshore team. How a team lead works with the team members, motivates and inspires people is important for building a strong collective where everyone clearly understands the project’s mission and goals.
Step 3. Time tracking
Find out what time tracking tools are used by your remote PMs. They might be using some tools like Time Doctor that perfectly works for outsourced developers.
Step 4. List of Tools
Make up the list of the software your remote colleagues use. You will need a list of apps they use for the following purposes:
- send emails
- track time and work progress
- communicate with each other
- communicate with customers
- share files
- edit texts and other documents
- schedule the meetings
- assign and monitor the tasks
Evaluate the effectiveness of each tool of the listed above and think together with your new co-workers how to optimize those.
Step 5. Core apps
Pick up one or two major tools to manage the development process. Automate repetitive activities so that your workflow is simple and clear for all stakeholders.
Step 6. Goals
Communicate the goals to every member of your team. It allows everyone in your company to understand the importance of doing daily work to reach the final objective of the project.
Optimizing a management flow seems a simple thing to do but there’s a lot of pitfalls and roadblocks you can meet while totally changing the processes. Support, persistence, and collaboration are of vital importance if you consider performance optimization. Should you need any recommendations on better effectiveness feel free to ask our project managers and advisors.
DICEUS builds customized enterprise solutions for managing workflow, benefits, insurance, healthcare, etc. that can 100% optimize your company’s business processes.