In 2017, there were almost 56 million deaths in the world. The great research by Our World in Data shows that 2.3 million or slightly more than 4% of deaths were related to road accidents, homicide, drowning, fire, conflicts, heat-related issues, terrorism, and natural disasters. From 1990 to 2017, the total number of deaths increased by 20%.
Life insurance is highly demanded now. Insurance services expand to developing countries while first world population increases its wealth and opts for personal protection. Underwriters face constantly-growing number of customers, respectively. And here comes life insurance quoting software that speeds up processing of requests, simplifies data access, and leads to better experience.
Generally, the protection of life isn’t the most popular type of insurance. Clients tend to choose health policies, insure their property, get travel packages, and so on. It’s in our nature, to avoid thoughts about death and all the related stuff. But life insurance is useful, really. As an ordinary man or woman, you want to help your family in case of an accident. It’s especially true for breadwinners. As an insurance agency or broker, you want to show people why it’s important to get a policy. And proper software can help in this case, undoubtedly.
Life Insurance Quotes and the Market
To understand the market state, take a quick look at the research by III. It mentions that 60% of Americans were covered by life insurance in 2018. It’s interesting that 1 in 5 insured persons said that they weren't satisfied with the coverage amount.
Moreover, almost half of all adults in the USA looked for life insurance last year and one-third purchased or tried to get the policy online. It means that customers are interested in life insurance quotes that can be provided via elaborate software modules.
If you want more insights, be sure to check the next figures. Provided by The Insurance Barometer 2018, they represent key reasons to get a policy (91% opt for covering burial expenses) as well as reasons not to do this (with 63% focused on high cost and 61% – on other financial priorities).
You see that potential clients want to get money for funeral-related expenses, protect families from lost income, and leave an inheritance for descendants. Simultaneously, American citizens think that it’s too expensive to buy insurance. Actual rates depend on age, health, and insurance policy type. Thus, apps for agencies should consider these points.
There are two main life insurance types: a permanent one that pays benefits regardless of the time of death and a term one that features specific periods like 10 or 20 years of coverage. Depending on the type, you may be interested in certain software functions. Let’s talk about them in more detail.
Basic and Advanced Modules for Quoting Software
Well, first and foremost, let’s reveal which functions are required and recommended for life insurance quoting software at all. It doesn’t matter which types of policies you deliver and with which carriers you cooperate. Think about clients. A regular visitor looks for a comprehensive tool that calculates all rates and shows the most relevant quote without too long registration process. Simultaneously, agencies just want to convert as many leads as possible.
To meet both goals, a good life insurance quote widget should have the following modules:
- Calculator. A convenient tool with fields like a mortgage and other debts, inheritance, and various life/health points. Gives insights on the most appropriate total coverage.
- Chat. The best thing for modern clients who don’t want to use a phone or email. Hire an operator or develop an AI-based bot to answer questions in real time.
- Comparison. If you opt for multi-carrier strategy, be sure to add a catalog with comparison tables. It will help users to evaluate quotes without registration.
- CRM. It’s a more advanced tool that may be useful for professional agencies. CRM solutions facilitate customers’ data storing, exchanging and updating.
- Health rater. A module that simplifies quoting and removes need in healthcare intermediaries. With it, a prospect can specify his/her health problems.
- Mobile app. Not a separate module but a highly-recommended feature. Applications for smartphones and tablets allow people to access your quoting system easier.
Functions for a Term Life Insurance Broker
Moving to exact tools and applications, there are a few crucial modules for teams that provide term life policies. Firstly, check the most popular time frames:
- 10 years.
- 15 years.
- 20 years.
- 30 years.
Some carriers also offer annually-renewable policies. They may be suitable for people who aren’t sure in the future and want to get more flexibility. Below, you can check the average costs of each policy type.
Basically, you want to deliver accurate quotes divided by terms. Filters and sorting tools would fit the quoting system perfectly, in this case. Also, it’s clear that a term life insurance broker should be ready for renewals. Thus, a complex clients’ catalog with relevant and regularly updated info is a must. Finally, more powerful CRM systems can help brokers to design personalized strategies with quick response to any request.
Functions for a Permanent Life Insurance Broker
Unlike, term life insurance, this category provides for once-and-for-all coverage. Just sign a contract – and your relatives or close ones will get benefits regardless of the lifespan. Thus, applications for brokers with permanent policies should focus on lifelong cooperation with each client. Consider the cooperation as consultations with a family doctor. While term life agencies are more about changes and updates, permanent life ones opt for stability and knowledge.
It means that you should prioritize data safety over complicated filters, for instance. Satisfied clients will be with your team for many years so they will pay monthly fees regularly. Thus, CRM platforms will be useful, too. When it comes to quoting itself, you should ensure leads that they don’t need other companies. Polish the software, create a perfect user-friendly interface, and base quotes on comprehensive info so people will trust you.
Creating a Life Insurance Quote Widget
Let’s move to the development itself now. Quoting apps represent one of the simplest dev approaches but they require accuracy, as well. To deliver the most relevant quotes, your software must collect and analyze data from each prospect carefully. It’s a hard trick if you don’t want to put registration forms with long surveys.
To create a good application, you may want to deal with a dedicated tech team. Instead of vendors that sell premade tools, custom developers focus on the software made from scratch. They can implement all the features you need in the most efficient way. Obviously, none of your competitors will have access to this platform without your consent.
Thus, let’s look at how dev companies create life insurance quoting software.
Main Development Stages
Most likely, you will find a tech team that works in accordance with Agile principles. Put simply, this approach stands for subsequent iterations or sprints during which developers focus on one or a few features. Each sprint has the same structure:
- Define requirements. Get initial tasks from the client and plan the entire development process during a given sprint. Focus on these tasks only.
- Add functionality. Code and create features, actually. There may be several dev parts inside one iteration because of different requirements.
- Integrate and test. Deploy the designed features via a testing environment. Find bugs, fix them, and ensure that everything works fine.
- Release. Install the modules or add the functions to an MVP or a fully-functional product. Let clients use this stuff.
- Get feedback. Wait for the review from customers. Employees should deliver their vision, potential issues, and next requirements.
- Make the necessary changes. Fix everything or modify the software. After this, you can start the next sprint. When everything’s OK, release the product.
Apart from just tech processes, custom developers can also handle other stages of interactions. For example, you can ask for prior market analysis, training courses for new users or lifelong maintenance. These services are often considered as parts of the dev process so custom agencies usually offer them.
Benefits of Outsourcing Development
The choice between in-house and outsourced IT departments may be pretty tough. On the one hand, you always have control over your own workers. However, it’s much easier to find the required professionals with moderate rates outside the company and the country.
Basically, we suggest opting for outsourcing whenever possible. SMBs can benefit by saving on costly internal IT teams while enterprises can delegate secondary tasks to focus on the most important processes.
Exactly, the benefits of outsourcing life insurance quoting software development are as follows:
- Focus on key areas. As external teams will work on their tasks, your own employees will be able to handle management, marketing, customer relations, and the company’s development questions.
- Get access to demanded skills. The world is huge. Expanding your search for workers, you can hire the right people way faster. It’s obvious as the most qualified persons from the USA are already employed while Ukrainian or Indian devs still look for a job.
- Look outside the box. In-house experts know the company perfectly but they lack fresh vision. Outsourcing partners can help you to mitigate risks, find new solutions, and pay attention to crucial moments that you can barely notice.
- Reduce time and money expenses. Mainly, outsourcing lets you save on salaries, offices, HR processes, and so on. With partners around the world, you can run business round-the-clock and sign strategic partnerships quicker.
Getting Unique Solutions from Our Team
Finally, we want to take a pause and promote the company featured as top dev team by Clutch. In Diceus, our software engineers and market experts work hard to create the most polished applications for various industries. As well, we can create a nice life insurance quote widget. To start, you only need to contact us and get your first consultation.
According to the brand’s principles, we follow the mentioned Agile methodology and list only quote-based prices. Means, customers can reveal the final product’s price after agreeing on features, delivery time, and extra services. During the development, we regularly ask for your feedback to keep on track and design right what you need.
And, surely, we are for custom projects only. Make it from scratch, re-engineer legacy apps, update the software – just ask us and get the job done.
In this part, we quickly remind the core points of the article. The info isn’t exhaustive so feel free to ask our experts in case you still have questions.
What Is a Quote and Quoting Software?
A quote is your personal rate for an insurance policy. You can get it via quoting tools that take into account several factors such as age, health, and other coverage. Modern quoting platforms combine offers from numerous carriers.
What Is a Medicare Quoting Tool?
Applications that are integrated with the Medicare program in the USA can help aged people. According to the project’s idea, it provides insurance for American citizens older than 65 years. Thus, quoting tools also help these people to find the best policy.
How Quoting Applications Differ?
There are different classifications. Say, quoting tools may be premade and similar for all clients or custom and totally unique. On the other side, they can be cloud-based or hosted at the customer’s server. Finally, quoting apps include various functional modules.
How to Create a Custom Life Insurance Quoting Software?
The best way is to contact a dedicated development agency. These teams spent a lifetime designing and deploying software pieces. You can easily list your requirements and get the final price with an accurate schedule, questions, suggestions, and other valuable insights.
How to Choose the Best Custom Developer?
Apart from traditional vendors, there are dozens of professional dev teams. If you end up with a few options that are equally reputable, explore the portfolios. You want to get a tech partner that has all the required skills for your project.
The Bottom Line
The life insurance industry should be attractive for carriers, agents, and brokers today. It features a huge audience, including uninsured and underinsured persons from different countries. With fine insurance quoting platforms, you can attract new users constantly because they will look for personalized quotes. Respectively, they will buy policies and you will get revenue. This is how the market works. And this is how you can succeed.