This year, the global spending on software is going to reach $391 billion. The second biggest segment behind communications services, the IT industry, is expected to reach $1003 billion. ERP revenue was valued at $82.27 billion in 2016, CRM software was worth $24.28.
Enterprise software is a segment of the IT market that needs to address the demands of the companies’ key business processes. In general, ERP software has to refine productivity by the single piece of software architecture. Accounting, human resources, and sales are commonly covered by such programs. The enterprise app software industry includes business intelligence, CRM, enterprise resource planning, supply chain management, portfolio and project management.
Future of Bespoke Software Development
- A mix of programming and data science.
Nowadays, more and more companies desire to gain mixed solution for their business needs. Different programming languages and technologies are mixed together in order to fulfill tricky customers’ demands.
Businesses expect software developers to pick up quickly new technologies to get things done. There is already a huge need for the IT generalists.
Even data science and programming will be united. Most software systems will not include “end-to-end” educational systems for the near future. It will lean on data models to deliver key cognition abilities and obvious logic to cooperate with users and explain results.
- AI practitioners will rule the world.
Great researchers and academics will serve software companies a lot. The value of automated solutions will grow with an ability to speed up the process and cut the costs. That’s why many traditional coders learn more about AI capabilities and acquire new knowledge and skills.
- Machine learning trend.
Machine learning has the power to improve AI models, explain them, secure and make relevant. Machine learning may help to develop tools to fix all existing issues and unlock the potential of artificial intelligence.
How to Successfully Outsource Bespoke Software Development
#1 Look for the quality from experience.
It’s up to you whether to use the help of the young organization or experienced enterprise software development company but keep in mind that you need to check their knowledge and skills.
So, how to check whether their background is a good fit for you? When you interview potential partners, explore their portfolio and ask for references, how they will apply their experiences to developing software.
It’s better to meet in person but you can as well create skype conference to better understand the team’s strengths. Also, identify whether they have agile and flexible processes.
Discover their testing and QA processes. Will they use different tests to check quality? Make sure they’re proficient in this area and have deep knowledge about static testing, regression testing, white- and black-box testing, dynamic testing, and visual testing. The main thing is to ensure that this company makes QA/testing a priority.
Outsourcing partner may apply their collective knowledge to fix your business problems and innovate. Usually, they have 50-60 developers and share their knowledge with each other. It makes their work more successful and strong.
#2 Know what you want.
Leaders need to have a clear vision of what they want. Sometimes, non-technical professionals can’t accurately evaluate what their organizations really need but outsourced teams will help to do that. Their innovative solutions and fresh ideas will serve you in making a decision what software to develop. Sometimes, it can be common systems but in some cases, you need to order custom written software to fulfill your specific needs.
Related article: Key Bespoke Software Advantages and Disadvantages
Cooperation helps to ensure good quality. You need to know what qualities you look for in the proactive developer, team leads, QA professionals, etc. Bear in mind that good developers must be initiative to suggest automation, innovations or improvement, team players and open to collaborating with you to solve problems.
Experts say that short user stories about the features that a client wants help a lot. It helps the programmer better visualize and understand the desired result and interface.
Categories of Custom Software Development Services
Configuration Management Software
It can be called CMS as well when IT professionals handle the virtual and physical IT environment by tracking changes, updates, and implementation. This is an important process because the average company provides over 10,000 changes during the year.
The main goal is to improve system performance by decreasing mistakes. This is typically delivered by mapping an IT environment, saving good documentation (for releases, updates, structural modifications, asset inventories) and keeping the further data in a configuration management database. This software also applies audit tools and internal verification to identify compliance with key baselines and standards.
CMSs have such basic features that can be expanded by custom software company:
- Discovery automation
- Configuration management database
- Dependency mapping
- Impact analysis
- Baseline management
- Asset inventory management
- Incident/Fault Reporting.
IT Helpdesk Software
This software allows IT departments automating service management. It serves as one single place for all employees to report and fix problems. Most companies use a ticketing system to prioritize, log requests, and queue, which helps to save time and efforts. Helpdesk software also refines the productivity of the staff.
Moreover, these solutions suggest smart tools for automating operations involving shared macros, auto-assign features, and self-help resources. Analytics and reporting tools may offer deep insight into the help center processes, such as trends in past tickets, average resolution times, and user sentiment.
These are its basic features that can be changed in custom business software:
- Issue/Ticketing management
- Service level agreements
- Customer/user portal
- Self-help database
- IT purchase requests
- Asset scanning
- Sync with other IT tools
- Mobile Device Management Software
Personal mobile devices present additional privacy and security concerns. The study showed that 84% of employees use a smartphone for both professional and personal use. That’s why IT leaders must establish clear bring-your-own-device rules and policy that fulfills encryption, password protection, and best experience for mobile access of company data.
Mobile device management software helps DevOps to track and manage configuration settings and application access for the tablets, smartphones, and other devices whether company-owned or personal applied by the staff. Many solutions also allow to remotely erase or lock data on devices in the event of theft, loss, or hostile termination.
These are the key features that can be broadened in custom-made software:
- Encryption and passcode enforcement
- Theft/loss protection
- Mobile app management
- Group-specific or enterprise apps
- App blacklisting
- Secure distribution
- Email management
- Mobile content management
- Device security
- Network access management
Cost of Custom-Made Software and Types of Software Development Models
If taking into account the cost of ready-made software, it’s easier to calculate it than the price of the custom business software. The cost of the common software you can see below but developing bespoke software requires more factors to take into account to know the entire price.
Now, let’s consider 5 most popular software development models that are suitable for both ready-made and custom written software.
- The Waterfall is the most popular model. With this approach, each phase of the software development cycle has to be made step by step before the further cycle will begin.
- Potential problems may be found and fixed earlier.
- This model helps to develop greater documentation.
- It is easier for the customers and juniors who are unfamiliar with technological operations.
- Customers don’t always know what they need or want. The waterfall model complicates to meet project requirements and plan.
- The changes may be expensive and time-consuming.
- Problems that appear from earlier phases may be lost and not addressed.
The waterfall model fits easy projects where expectations are guaranteed to stay stable.
2) This is a more flexible approach where cross-functional teams cooperate in short projects to develop a few different versions of a product. Once one version is fully developed, the teams implement feedback on the product into their next sprint of work.
- The client’s changes may be added at any point during the process.
- All the operations are highly transparent.
- This model fits permanent product improvement.
- This model may be more complex to understand for the juniors.
- A clear documentation is hard to achieve.
- When poorly integrated, the agile model may be inefficient.
The agile approach is a good choice for developing bespoke software.
3) Lean development means the process that adapts to the set of principles and values in order to use time more productive.
- It pays attention to the productivity. It brings cheaper and faster processes.
- Products are developed earlier.
- It helps teams to become more motivated and empowered.
- The success of the projects leans on advanced skills of team members and the personal discipline and.
- An opportunity to have too much flexibility to the programmers may lead to loss of focus.
It fits short-term projects with reliable, small teams.
4) Extreme programming includes the same sprints of work to develop different versions of a product. It has a reliance on the specific rules, values, and practices. Extreme programming pays attention to the permanent communication, maximum simplicity, programmer welfare, and collective knowledge.
- It improves customer engagement.
- It syncs with the most innovative development methods.
- This model promotes the personal commitment of the programmers.
- It works only if employees are involved.
- Permanent communication with the clients may become expensive.
- This model complicates to evaluate the length of the development process.
It matches for the cooperation with startups that always change their requirements.
5) Rapid application development pays attention to the speed and prototyping. It involves such practices:
- Applying focus groups or workshops to capture requirements.
- Reusing software elements.
- Sticking to a fast-paced, rigid schedule.
- Postponing design refinements to the product versions.
- Informality in the communication.
- It decreases the developer’s efforts and risks during the projects.
- Customers may review products fast.
- Clients may easily give feedback.
- Success depends on the employees and teams.
- The rapid app development model demands the engagement of highly skilled employees.
- The model also demands the team to interact with users frequently.
It fits the projects that have to be made within two to three months.
So, in this article, we gathered all the information that you need to know before hiring custom software company. Nowadays, custom software development services become more and more popular because of the need to adapt IT systems to the specific business needs.
Feel free to explore the key features of the basic software development categories to start adding new functionality. This knowledge and our tips will help you to hire skilled and talented programmers.